Atlantic Marine Delivers 1,200-Passenger 'Empress/ New Illinois Casino Boat
Atlantic Marine, Inc., Jacksonville, Fla., recently delivered the Empress to Des Plaines River Entertainment Corporation, Joliet, 111.
The 222- by 66-foot twin deck casino vessel, with a capacity for 1,200 passengers and 100 crew, will offer gam- 14 ing cruises on the Des Plaines River.
Designed by Rodney E. Lay Associates, Inc., Jacksonville, the vessel is powered by two Caterpillar 3412 TA marine engines turning ZF BW251 reduction gears with a 4.13:1 ratio. Caterpillar also supplied the following machinery: two 3508,715- kw generator sets, which provide shipboard electrical service; a 3304NA, 113-kw generator set for emergency power; and a 3208TA engine to power the Schottel SST170 48-inch bow thruster.
Its impressive Las Vegas-style interiors were designed by Directions in Design of St. Louis. The two grand ballroom-sized casinos are located on the upper and main decks.
Deck access is provided by a 27- person Montgomery hydraulic elevator.
Electronic equipment on the vessel includes a Furuno 1730 radar, a Datamarine International 300 depth sounder, and VHF radios from Icom and Si-tex.
In addition to the Empress, Atlantic Marine has delivered three other casino boats. Two, the Diamond Lady and Emerald Lady, formerly operated out of Iowa, while a third, the Par-A-Dice, operates out of Illinois. The Diamond Lady and the Emerald Lady will reportedly be moved to Biloxi, Miss., shortly.
Established in 1964, Atlantic Marine constructs all types of vessels including dinner boats, ferry boats, research vessels, tugs, barges and fishing vessels for domestic and international owners.
On the international side, Atlantic is building a steel hull twin-screw passenger/vehicle ferry for the Resort Hotel Playa Tambor. The 130- foot ferry Tambor, scheduled for delivery in September 1992, will operate between Puntarenas and Paquera on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. The Caterpillar-powered vessel will have a capacity of375 people and between 16 to 18 cars and six trucks or buses.
For free literature detailing the boatbuilding capabilities of Atlantic Marine, Circle 6 0 on Reader Service C a r d
Other stories from July 1992 issue
- Markey Machinery Supplies Hawser Winch For LOOP Emergency Response Vessel page: 9
- Siemens Division Supplies Integrated Electric Propulsion System For B.C. Ferry page: 9
- $75 Million Cable Ship Launched By AT&T/ Teleglobe At FELS page: 10
- U.S. Owners Could Place $5 Billion In New Ship Orders page: 11
- Stolt-Nielsen Adds Two Inland Tankers; Acquires Comex Services page: 12
- New Oceanographic Ship Christened By MSC At Avondale page: 13
- Shaver Awards Z-Drive Tug Contract To Martinac page: 13
- Atlantic Marine Delivers 1,200-Passenger 'Empress/ New Illinois Casino Boat page: 14
- U.S.-FLAG CRUISING: READY TO SAIL? page: 16
- Unitor Offers Shipowners CFC 'Phase-Out7 Concept page: 19
- DIESEL POWER page: 21
- Great Lakes Towing Overhauls Army Tug, Expands Yard Facilities page: 28
- FMC Seeks Comments On Exempting Military Rates From ' 8 4 Ship Act page: 29
- Lugger Diesels Give Passenger Boats Economical High Speed page: 32
- CG Says New Regulations Will Remove Substandard Tankers And Operators page: 32
- Future Repair & Modernization Of U.S. Navy Ships page: 33
- Distribution Of Navy Repair Work page: 34
- ECO Delivers Two PC Ship Simulators To Navy page: 36
- Eighth LSD Class Ship Commissioned At Avondale page: 37
- ANNUAL GUIDE TO FUELS and LUBES page: 38
- COMSAT Introduces C-Linksm Dial-In Service page: 46
- NOR-FISHING '92 page: 48
- Soaring Shipbuilding Demand To Challenge Shipyard Capacity page: 49
- CREDIT IN THE BUNKER BUSINESS Pitfalls, Problems, Techniques And Solutions page: 52
- Singapore's Marine Industry Posts $ 1 . 9 Billion Growth page: 52
- Singapore Buys $12 Million VTS From Norcontrol page: 54
- FMC Issues Notice For 3 Proposed Rule Changes page: 54
- Fire Safety Actuators From N e w Joint Venture/ Stockham-Ficotech page: 55
- Siemens Launches New Industrial Systems Division page: 55
- Singmarine Launches One Of WorlcTs Largest Well Stimulation Vessels For The Western Company page: 55
- Mar Ad's Management Control Over Title XI Vessels page: 56
- HEIDRUN —A Breakthrough For Concrete Technology page: 58
- AWSC Helps 2nd-Tier Shipyards Comply With U.S. Disabilities Act page: 60
- PPM Cranes To Produce First U.S.-Built Container Reach Stacker page: 60
- SECONDHAND SHIPS: Market Sector Prospects And Investment Options During The 1990s page: 61
- Ashtech Ranger Receiver: Compact GPS Solution page: 62
- HMS Marine Introduces Halon Containment Curtain page: 62
- North Sea To Black Sea Waterway Set To Open page: 63
- New Marine Turbine For Fast Ferries From Solar Turbines page: 64
- Edson Offers Free Diaphragm Pump Catalog page: 64
- Leevac To Build Casino Boat To Rodney E. Lay Design page: 65
- Finnyards Receives 2nd $130 Million Multipurpose Icebreaker Order page: 65
- Futuristic Radisson Diamond: 21st Century Cruise Ship Delivered By Finnyards page: 66
- Flender Werft Delivers 1,724-TEU Boxship page: 67
- Lakes Shipping Affected By Low Water Levels page: 67
- MarAd Publishes Final Rule On Regulated Transactions page: 68